Codewords OnlineCodeword puzzles are one of the most popular word puzzles, and typically appear in a wide range of publications, including many daily newspapers.
Although described as a crossword variant, the codeword puzzle solves very differently to a crossword. Indeed there are no clues at all in a codeword puzzle which is of course the main feature of a crossword puzzle.
With a codeword puzzle each letter of the alphabet from A - Z appears in the solution grid at least once. And each letter has been substituted with a number from 1 - 26. The aim of the puzzle is to work out which letter has been replaced by each number, and therefore slowly solve the puzzle. The key thing to remember is that every letter from A - Z appears and that each number from 1 - 26 stands for just one letter. So if you work out that '1' must be 'E' then you know that EVERY instance of the number '1' can be replaced with 'E' in the grid.
Solving codewords can be tricky, and of course requires a good knowledge of English and also plenty of practice. Key to solving the puzzle is to use the hint letters given to help get you started. Then you need to know a thing or two about letter frequencies. Many people like to start by trying to work out where the 'E' goes. As 'E' is the most common letter in English, it is often the case, but not always, that the number that appears the most times in the grid codes for the letter 'E'. However it could be another of the most common letters, such as 'T' or 'A' and, rarely, other letters too.
When solving codewords, which are also known as other names such as code breakers, it helps to use your knowledge of letter / vowel patterns in English, knowledge of double letters, and also patterns that are common such as words ending in 'ING' or of course plurals ending in 'S'. As well as things like knowing 'QU' virtually always appear together.
In order to be fair, codeword puzzles you find on this site will use barely any proper nouns, we just use country names on occasion. This is because many people get frustrated thinking they have made mistakes when the answer is a proper noun, and admitting proper nouns as eligible massively increases the number of possible words that are valid, and depending what you think is a fair proper noun (major cities only, any city anywhere in the world) then it can make the puzzles unenjoyable and lead to multiple solutions too.
We hope you find our codeword puzzles enjoyable!
Solve Codewords puzzles online. DKM CodeWords is a word puzzle where you need to fill in the words in the crossword-stye grid. Each letter of the alphabet has been. Test yourself against Saga Magazine’s challenging daily puzzles online – they keep your mind sharp and are available to play FREE any time you like. Our Sudoku, Codeword and Crossword puzzles are updated daily and are provided by the UK’s leading puzzle publisher, Puzzler Media.
Play a Sample CodeWord Puzzle
Here's a video that walks through the solve of the sample puzzle:
|Puzzle||Play Puzzle||Date Published|
Play codeword online. Find the letters behind the numbers, by playing this popular word game. Unlimited games to play. Configure the grid size and the difficulty of the words. This means it is suitable for all abilities and device sizes.
Codeword Unlimited is an application to play the popular word game known as Codeword (also known as Cipher crosswords)
For those unfamiliar with Codeword puzzles, they provide a grid of words, similar to a normal crossword, but with no clues, rather a few initially provided letters, and a number in each square in the gird to indicate its (as yet unknown) letter. All boxes with the same number must use the same letter. From that information and the few initially provided letters it is possible to work out which words will fit in the boxes. Hence you are decoding (or decyphering) the numbers into letters to reveal the hidden words. Usually all 26 letters of the alphabet are used in the codeword, although not always (and unused letters appear crossed out in the keyboard).
1) Unlimited number of codewords!! They are created on-the-fly using the application's advanced generator engine and it's built-in word list.
2) The player decides the number of rows and columns (from 3 to 20). This allows the game to be suitable for all kinds of mobile-phones and tablets.
3) Difficultly level can be specified by the user, which determines the pool of words the generator will use. The larger the pool the greater the difficulty. There is even an early learner mode with a limited number of words, aimed at children and English language learners. The number of starting letters can also be specified. Higher scores can be obtained with more difficult codewords.
4) When a player touches a box, all boxes with the same number are highlighted.
5) For any word in the grid for which all squares are assigned to letters, Codeword Unlimited will highlight if that word is NOT an allowed word in the word list it uses to generate its codewords. This helps you when you have mistakes in your current assignments (saving you lots of time and frustration!).
6) The game will show the player if a completed word is wrong (is not in its word list).
7) An on-screen keyboard means it is much easier and more comfortable to play.
8) The definition of a completed word can be viewed. This is useful if you do not know it, or you are learning a foreign language (internet connection required).
9) Choose the language of the word list, from a large range of downloadable dictionaries. 24 languages are currently available (see below).
10) Can be played in portrait or landscape mode. Just rotate your device and the display adjusts automatically.
Other similar applications want you to pay for more Codewords, but this game provides you with endless puzzles, all for free!!
Each game is assigned a difficulty level from 0 (easy) to 9 (very hard). The difficulty level is determined by the settings. Each difficulty level maintains the high scores (measured by fastest time to complete the game). The game displays the best 20 scores for each difficulty level.
If the player is in difficulty, the application provides two very useful aids. (1) The game can provide another decoded letter. (2) The game can show you potential answers for an uncompleted word. The game uses the letters that you have already decoded and displays the matching words.
Dictionaries available are English, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Arabic, French, German, Italian, Indonesian, Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Greek, Hungarian, Polish, Romanian, Serbian(Latin), Serbian(Cyrillic), Slovak, Slovene, Swedish, Turkish, Ukrainian and more coming later
Codewords online, free
Codenames Online Zoom